Once patients walk into your office, how do you make them stay… and come back? By providing superior service and top quality dental care, starting at the front desk.
A positive front desk encounter begins with the look and feel of the front office when a patient arrives. Patients notice the sounds, smells and overall appearance when they walk in. Put extra effort into giving your front office a fresh, clean scent versus the anxiety-inducing smell of dental materials. Keep the front desk and waiting areas neat and organized, as clutter devalues the professionalism of a practice.
You also need to place just as much importance on how you greet your patient when they enter. A successful front desk receptionist is aware of and anticipates each and every patient arrival. Their number one priority is the patient check-in, with emphasis on making the patient feel welcome. Upon walking in the door, every patient should receive your receptionist’s full attention; they should not be distracted by phone calls or other tasks.
Here are a few additional tips for a winning check-in process:
- Welcome a patient by standing to greet them by name and introducing yourself while smiling and looking them in the eye.
- Show them where to hang their coat, if necessary.
- Efficiently verify their information and offer to walk them through the paperwork.
- Offer a beverage while they wait.
- Note their arrival time and compare it to the schedule of the person they are seeing.
- In the event of a delay in their appointment, inform the patient right away.
- Ensure that small talk around the front desk is kept professional and minimal.
- Always remain professional yet friendly and accommodating to the patient
To create the optimal front desk encounter, build a front desk team that is well-trained and prepared for any situation; has strong interpersonal skills – both verbal and non-verbal communication; and consistently demonstrates patience.
About Dental Practice Advisors Dental Practice Advisors is a dental consulting firm dedicated to offering dental practices management solutions that will help improve patient care, work-life balance, and financial success.